Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run procedure in "background"

Status
Not open for further replies.

micang

Technical User
Aug 9, 2006
US

Access 2007

Hi All,

I have recently set-up my first adp.

Is it possible that once a procedure is called, that the database can still be navigated? I have a procedure that takes about 20 minutes to run, so when this is running, there is no access to any other forms etc until the procedure is complete.

Was wondering if there is away off calling\executing a procedure, but then still be able to navigate\use the database?

Any help in the correct direction is appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

is this an automatic process that needs to be run at a specific time? or have you done this on startup for ease of use?

is this done when a user initiates this process?

also why does it take so long? what is the procedure doing as 20mins seems a bit much for most things

It's not what you know. It's who's on Tek-Tip's

Hi overdraft015,

It's not an automatic process, it's fired off manually. The process takes long as it does some cleaning up on a pretty fair sized dataset.

Currently it's fired off froma simple command button.

Many thanks for your reply.

Michael

does this have to be run when a user clicks this or can this be set to run say at a specific time?

if you can run this automatic you could have any machine call the procedure via the windows scheduler.

thats how i run procedures automatically with no user intervention.

It's not what you know. It's who's on Tek-Tip's

Hi overdraft015,

When the user clicks, unfortunatly it can't be set to a specfic scheduled time.

On way I thought doing it is to use the SQL Server Agent (create a job) and fire off the job from the adp db. This will work, but then I lose out seeing if there procedure fails at any point.

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back