Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run from terminal as opposed to "Run Application" dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsle

Programmer
Jan 21, 2006
US
This is an interesting phenomena that I've seen on a few programs. Basically, if you run these programs from the terminal, they'll run fine, but they won't run if you run them with the "Run Application" dialog (Alt+F2), or vice-versa, they'll run fine from the Run Application but error-out at the terminal.

Case in point: Shareaza (a Windows P2P program, running under Wine). The only command I know works to start the program peacefully is:

Code:
wine "C:\\Program Files\\Shareaza\\Shareaza.exe" -tray

But, this command only works when I push Alt+F2 and enter it into the dialog. If I go into a terminal (gnome-terminal) and enter that command, Shareaza will start enough to open its "remote control" window, but then it stops responding.

I first discovered this because I was trying to write a Perl script which would run Shareaza and relaunch it if the program ever crashed (which it does quite frequently), but since the Perl script is "terminal-based", its attempts to execute a command are run from a terminal environment, which won't run Shareaza.

Anybody know what the difference is? Why would a program only run from the run dialog but not through the terminal? Are there differences in environment variables?

-------------
Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Project Fearless | My web blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back