Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RUN Command in XP causes Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigroger

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
AU
I have an application written in dbase IV, which runs fine in Windows 98.

I RUN a batch file to use 3rd party print software, called with RUN chargfcl.bat
I tried @echo off in the batch file but that did change anything.

The batch file contains a single line like c:\printexp\vlrepprn.exe c:\printexp\chargfcl.dtt
When the batch file runs the following occurs.

1. The batch file executes correctly and the new window is created and displayed. But the batch file hangs until I close the called application. In Windows 98 I can call multiple batch files only limited by memory, and dbase is active when I return to it.

2. The Dbase Screen is compresses to the top half the screen. The bottom half is Black, but displays the echo of the batch command immediately under the Dbase part of the screen.
The typical Dbase display should be a full screen menu, which now gets squeezed to half its normal size.

I am not too fussed by #1 because I can instruct the user to print then close.

#2 is embarrassing and looks bad.

NOTE every thing runs OK in Win 98.

Any clues?

On Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003, the DOS window (now renamed Command Prompt) is "emulated", for lack of a better word, and so are LPT and COM ports, with each version of Windows seeming to become even less compatible. Most DOS programs will work "as advertised" if you adjust them for the DOS-related issues, you know, that reminds me of pounding a round peg into a square hole. With some issues, perhaps the one you have, using a DOS window via the older but limited Command.com with the MS-DOS icon may work better than Cmd.exe with the back icon.

Does the user have the "Command Prompt" set to default to full screen? Alt-Enter switched between windows and full-screen modes.

dbMark

I think command.com has a property in which you can set compatibility modes for older OS versions. May be worth a try...

Thanks Mark - I value your input. I'll have a go at it.
I will have to test it on XP at work, I still use 98 to write and maintain my application.

I any windows version after 98 shpuld be blown up!

Roger

Sometimes I think someone out there could write better DOS emulation than what we're getting, or at least one without so many Windows-aware issues. When there's a will, there's a way, and all that. If a small company like gemulators.com can write Atari 8-bit, Atari ST and Mac emulation to run on Windows... Oh, it's the midnight hour that makes me say that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back