Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run command box and Prefetch folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeron866

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
CA
Hello everyone!I have 2 small problems.1 the run command box always used to maintain whatever was typed in it like Regedit,Msconfig etc,now everytime i reboot nothig is in the run box.any suggestions.I also noticed nothing is being put in my prefetch folder.it used to be full all the time now it is always empty?Thank you in advance.

Are you running any programs that remove this type of history item?

Have you got this Registry Key (and Permissions to write to it), and are there any entries in the data value?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

Try the Administrator in Safe Mode and see if he can keep the history from Start Run.

Check your Permissions for the PreFetch folder too.

Check this Registry Key to see if Prefetching is disabled.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "EnablePrefetcher" and set it according to
(0 = disabled, 1 = Application launch prefetching, 2 = Boot prefetching, 3 = Both prefetching and is the Default setting).

If you read this link you will see that the PreFetch folder is handled by the System and every 3 days adjusted.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back