Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run ASP Script on Email Arrival (IIS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RISTMO

Programmer
Nov 16, 2001
US
Hey,

I'm trying to create an application that will allow users to send a text message and trigger an ASP page. We use IIS' email system. What I'm wondering is, is there a simple way to run a page every time a new email is received at a certain mailbox on the server? Is there a tutorial somewhere I could use for reference?

Thanks!
Rick

RISTMO Designs: Rockwall Web Design
Arab Church: Arabic Christian Resources
Genuine Autos: Kaufman Chevrolet & Pontiac Dealer
Rick Morgan's Official Website

You may have to write an application for this, but I'm sure it would be pretty easy in visual basic... because it has to be ran all the time checking the pop3 accounts, which asp runs only when someone access a page... You can find tons of code on how to do pop3 access here:

However i don't know how stable it would be, you'll just have to test them..

Jason

Army : Combat Engineer : 21B

The IIS email system is only sorta half of an email system... it can send SMTP but it doesn't receive mail... it has no mailboxes or POP3.

It sounds like you want to write a program that polls a POP3 account for new messages and then takes some action when certain email arrives... and your action happens to be an ASP page but it could just as well be to play a little sound or put a little icon on the system tray or whatever.

Perhaps you could piggy-back an existing polling client like if you could do some something with an Outlook macro or inbox rule... or the equivalant for some other email client.

Or you might have a mail server with the ability to trigger something automatically but you'd have to check the documentation of your mail server.

What are you trying to accomplish by having an email trigger an ASP? Perhaps there is another way to accomplish the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back