Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

run ASA as a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadAccess

Programmer
Feb 16, 2002
US
Anybody know of a way to run ASA as a service (so I dont have to be logged on to run my scheduled reports)?

And does anybody know how I can have ASA restart after it unexpectedly crashes?

A little background - I have reports scheduled to run through the night but ASA tends to crash after several hours. I'm running v3.0.8

you can put it on a server so it doesnt affect your PC, then just remote desktop into the server when you need to do admin.

Rgtrgt has the right idea - we run ASA on a seperate PC/Serve. ASA auto reports and ISI call accounting are the only two functions of this server. We schedule hundreds of reports that run at different intervals because we are just cheap and can't afford a reporting system. Anyway, we had issues at first because too many reports were scheduled to run at the same time. If you stagger the scheduled times, make sure ASA is up and the connection is idle/occupied so that other users don't hog your connection. It should be smooth sailing.

Have you checked the history logs to see what errors are occuring?

wilroy, the MS Event log is showing:

"Faulting application asa.exe, version 3.0.8.0, faulting module mfc42.dll, version 6.0.8665.0, fault address 0x00001b3e."

At some point I'll be able to get another PC to run this on. In the meantime I'll try upgrading to a new version of ASA and see if that fixes the occasional crash.

Thanks for both the replies!

I would guess the errors you have are related to the PC rather than the ASA software version. Does the PC have enough available memory?

DO you have another PC running the same version that you could do a test run with scheduled reports. If it runs without crashing, save your ASA upgrade money & get a new PC.

I am only throwing ideas out; and I hope you find a solution that works for you. thanks

wilroy, I upgraded to the latest version we have on CD. I found that the mfc42.dll is an older version so I copied a newer version from my system32 folder to the ASA folder. Still crashed! Crazy thing is I can run it all day long and it doesnt crash. I go home and pfft it's done for the day too. On Friday it dumped 30 minutes after I left. The computer should be powerful enough: 1.5GB RAM and dual 2.8 Intel procs. Aw well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back