Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run an update query in a loop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
US
I have a table of "products" where each product belongs to one of 5 categories. The table looks something like this:

Desc. Attr1 Attr2 Category
Prod1 ... ... Cat1
Prod2 ... ... Cat1
Prod3 ... ... Cat1
Prod15 ... ... Cat3

I want to change Attr1 depending on the category. I'm looking to write a code that automates the above process. Something like:

For Each Category In Table "Products"
Select Case Category
Case Cat1
Update myquery...
End Select
Next

Can someone help me with the appropriate object for the For Each... Next statement, or a more efficient method of doing this?

Something like this ?
UPDATE products
SET Attr1=Switch(Category="Cat1","Value-1",...,Category="Cat5","Value-5",True,Attr1);

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

phv's solution is the one you should use,
if you want to do it in code and not a query, then wrap the whole thing in a docmd.runsql("sqlString")

however if you want to do this with code only, then the object u need to use as the index in the for each loop needs to be a variant
And you'd need to put the categories into an array, not just call from table.
And then you'd need to open the table into a recordset, and change them individually...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back