Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

run an executable on a shared network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSchimsky

MIS
Mar 26, 2002
US
Hi,

I've created a program using vb.net and on want to put the executable on our company's shared network drive. I know I have to do some permissions setup, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.

I don't care who can run the program, I just want anyone to be able to run it!

Can anyone tell me,(exactly, step by step), just how to make a vb.net executale program accessable on a network shared drive?

thanks for any help.

Steve

Step 1:
Install the .NET framework runtime on everyone's computer.

Step 2:
Make the program available via a share

Step 3:
If needed (depends on what calls you make in your program) you will need to tell the .NET runtime that your program is safe to run. If you have Active Directory set up at your company, you can do this at the Enterprise level. Otherwise you will have to do it at every machine. See this for more info:

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Chip,

Hi, Thanks for your reply,

I have installed the .net framework on everyone's computer, (and the server), and made the program accessible via a network share. The problem I'm having is with:

Mscorcfg.msc

We are running Windows Server 2000 with active directory. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to use Mscorcfg.msc!!!!!

The program I want to share does make some database calls, so I would like to simply give it full rights to do anything anywhere! I realize that this is probably not secure, but I think once you show me how to do that, I will be able to figure out how to pair it down.

Thanks for any help you can supply.

Steve

1. Goto Start- Setting - Control Panel - Administrative Tools-Microsoft .NET Framework Configuration
2. Select Runtime Security Policy - Adjust Zone Security
3. Select Local Intranet and give full trust.

Santosh1,

Thank You! I beleive the steps that you outlined worked!

Thanks again

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back