Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run a DOS batch file from ASP web page in NT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunasushi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2003
US
This is driving me mental. You guys have helped me before so I'll try here.

I have an older NT server that houses both our company's intranet and a database server. It is current with all updates available, and I put the most recent WSH on it. One of the processes we run on a nightly basis uses DOS command-line utilities to create a backup copy of the database for ODBC queries and reports. However, sometimes during the day, a fresh copy has to be made because data entered after the backup needs to be reflected in reports.

What I envision is a web page that will show the users the last time the database was backed up. There will also be a button the user can click to kick off the batch file process on the server to create a new backup copy, thereby refreshing the data. So, if necessary, users would be able to spawn an update themselves. On the server, I'd like to see the batch file's window pop up so I can monitor it. For tracking purposes, the batch file has an echo command that creates a file named RUNNING.DAT and the beginning of the process, and one named COMPLETED.DAT at the end. The COMPLETED.DAT file is used to show the last update's date and time.

No matter what I do, the batch file never runs from IIS in the ASP page... or if it does, I can't see it or tell that it ran. It never creates its output files, so I'm guesing that it's not running. Is this thing trackable somehow?

I've read all the 'ping' threads and the wscript.shell run posts, but none of these suggestions are working for me.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back