Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

run a cable vs. hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicep

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2000
US
I am hoping someone experienced in switches/hubs will offer an opinion.

Here is the network layout:

We have a 1 year old building with Cat 5 wiring. Cisco 3524 switch stack (4) to the offices. We have available ports on the switch and the wiring block.

Problem: Office has only 1 drop where we need a network HP jet direct printer AND a network workstation.

Would it be better to run a cable or install a 10/100 HUB in the office? What ways might the HUB affect the network?

All opinions appreciated!

Thanks,
Alice

Be sure the switchs allow multiple MAC addresses on each port, most "enterprise" switches do, but 'desktop' switches often do not. The Hub will be (99% likely) half Duplex (half as fast as full duplex at times) and the traffic will share that, so the end user may be slightly slower yet when printing, don't use a hub on a server.

(I would be tempted by a 4 or 5 port desktop switch rather than a hub) The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

Check out the 3Com NJ100 network jack. It is a standard size wall plate that has a built in 4 port switch for about $150.00. They just released it and it looks kind of promising.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

and Boy am I glad I don't own any of those!

AC in with the data cable!

Not managable!

no blinky lights even The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

It mentions an AC adaapter but I would guess the actual power over Ethernet is DC. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend loading up and trying to do a thousand jack campus with only 250 runs, but I can certainly see uses for these like the one in this current thread.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Alicep, you can split the pairs in the cat5 cable. Each of the devices you spoke of only need two pairs each. Use the orange and green pairs for the printer and the blue and brown for the workstation. At the patch panel be sure you have enough length. Place the orange and greens in the correct spots on the first port. On the second port place the blues on the oranges and the browns on the greens. The pins that are used are 1,2,3,and 6. Be sure to look on the patch panel and determine if it is 568A or B. This will impact the layout at the workstaion. There should be a diagram labeled on the jack. I wouldn't recommend doing this all the time. But it is the fastest and cheapest solution to your problem. And it works. Good luck.

If you're likely to stay with a 10/100Mb system, then use port doublers. Just plug one into the existing socket in the room where the printer is to be situated, and Hey Presto! two RJ45 sockets. Plug the other one into your patch panel, and away you go. No need to worry about getting the right pairs of wires either...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Thank you all for the information.

The 3com product looks possible. The price listed at $140, so I can hear my boss saying "buy a cheap hub."

I am reluctant to modify the wiring. The installers gave us a lifetime warranty on the cabling, and I don't want to give them reason to void the warranty.

I searched the internet for RJ45 doubler, but didn't find any U.S. resources. I found these:

The first one looks like something I would try, since I do have available ports on the switch. Does anyone know where I could get find out more about port doublers available in the U.S.?

Thanks,
Alicep

Dude,

This is a pretty simple solution. Just go buy a super cheap 10/100 hub. Ive seen 5 ports for around $50. The hub wont affect your network in the slightest.

That is the easiest, simplest, and best solution possible. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Put a cheap hub in and dont sweat it. Network will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back