Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rules on Sent Items 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
I would like to create a rule so that I can have all the items in my sent items folder go into a certain folder. For example, with each of my clients, anything sent and/or receieved would automatically get put in the same place for easier reference at a later date. Essentially, the same rules I already have for everything would also apply to the Sent Items..

I have tried various combinations of stuff but no luck, even though it appears that it has the functionality. Has anyone else done this type of thing, and how did you pull it off?

Thanks.

Marv

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Marvin,

Which version of Groupwise ? 5 or 6.5 as in 5 sent items are just pointers.

Varuni
CNE

My suggestion would be to create a new "find results" folder. Use the "Custom find by example folder" option.

Ron

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?”
~ Mevlana Rumi

Do you live in Michigan? Join us in the Tek-Tips in Michigan forum.

Please excuse me Marv, but I guess I am not seeing what your problem is. A rule that specifies an action of "Move to Folder" based upon a To: or From: name is what I would use, and do. And then on some of these same pieces of mail I add the action of "Link". So they are assocoiated with other folders (shared and private).

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Ok, I guess I'm not making my self completely clear. My apologies.

I get email from BOB. I have a rule that automatically moves the message to my CABINET/BOB folder. I get email from Jane. A similar rule applies and the message is moved automatically to the CABINET/JANE folder. My rules for incoming mail work great. No complaints.

Here is the problem. I want to apply the same rule to my sent items..

For example. When I send a message to BOB, I want the message to be sent, and then be automatically moved to the CABINET/BOB folder. When I send a message to JANE, I want it to go to CABINET/JANE.

I know this sounds trivial, and I feel like a complete ass for not seeing the light, but I have tried to modify my rules to apply to this situation but can't seem to make it work. I setup the rule to check to TO: field and also for it to check the SENT items, but nothing ever happens. Am I missing something really stupid?

Thanks.

Marvin,

Try this in your rule,

When events - New Mail - Items are Received and Sent (I ticketd both)

Item type - Select all of them (if you want)

Define Conditions - Select "From" Contains "Bob", then Select "OR" and then Select "To" Contains "Bob" "END".

You can Move to Folder as normal.

It works on my PC. Bit difficult to explain the condition. If you send me your email address, I will send a screen dump of the condition.

Varuni
CNE

No apologies necessary Marv. I am sometimes one of the worst conveyors of a problem, and have been told so. But, Varuni hit the nail right on the head. The only way it would not work is if another rule was tripping it up.
Later!

FarOut
V-Peace-V

varun1... I'd rather not post my email but if you go to my website under contact infomration you can see it there.. I would like to take a look at a screen shot, I must be missing something obvious.

Thanks.

Thanks for your advice.. I've tried the various suggestions with varying results. Mostly positive. However, I have a couple oddities..

- In some cases, the To or FROM shows up as JOE BLOW instead of JOEBLOW@INTERNET.COM. This seems to slide under the rules and not get processed. Is there a way to deal with this? This is especially cumbersome when there are several users from one domain that this happens with.

- They only seem apply to any new emails that are sent. I can't seem to make the filters work on emails that are already in my SENT ITEMS folder. I would like to apply the rules and clean it up and get stuff moved to their appropriate cabinet automatically.

Morning Marv,
Concerning the rule problem, what operator are you using in the rule filter that checks the From: or To: field, is it "Contains or Matches" ? If it is "Contains" then I have a suggestion using wildcards.

As for a pre-existing rule acting upon already sent items, that I have not been able to do. Hope someone has and can give both of us the answer. When I or a user want to do this type clean-up, I use an "Advanced Find" for the e-mails (usually based upon From:) and then when they are listed in the Find Results screen I highlite all of them and do a Drag&Drop to the folder I want them in.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back