Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rules for optical mice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajstrauss

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
ZA
I am experiencing a LOT of erratic behaviour from my O-23G AOpen optical mouse (PS.2 and USB) on different operating systems.

Is all optical mice this sensitive for the surface they run on, or is the AOpen product of lower quality.

I am afraid I have had the same experience as you with several differant optical mice including the original supplied mouse on an iMac.
I believe the very expensive Logitech and Microsoft offerings are much better as they employ multiple beams, as for me I have gone back to my excellant Logitech cordless mouse WITH BALL (it's no big deal cleaning those rollers once a month) lol.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

'Fraid to say that even Logitech opticals throw wobblies sometimes... Mine here is an M-BJ69 model, and occasionally darts across the screen for no apparent reason. But then again, maybe it spotted the cat lurking behind the server licking his lips :))

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hi Aj,

I think you've had a run of bad luck is all. I am currently using Logitec, Memorex (super-cheap), & Belkin. The Mini-Belkin was for my kids (it's actually a "laptop" mouse, they say)- it fit their hands better. Both the Memorex & Belkin were free after rebate but were less than $30 to begin with so definitely not high-end. I like the Logitech most of all- very smooth with nice button feel.

My mice are running on Win98SE, Win2000, XP Pro, & Linux- never a burp from any of them. I should add that my kids are constantly dropping the darned things & even that doesn't seem to affect them.

Try again- & look for one with high read numbers (how often it checks for movement)- good luck!

Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back