Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rule Seniority Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmigit

Programmer
Aug 3, 2001
US
Some of you may have seen my question about users and roles in SQL Server Programming. It was a confusing question now that I read it and shamefully uneducated.

I'm trying to create a restricted user that I will use to connect to the db from my code with...

My question is... There are three checkbox statuses for permissions... blank, grant, and revoke... For public, all are set to blank.

I'm guessing that blank means grant if another role that the user is in does not deny? And does SQL Server monitor conflicts? (Like if User A was in Role 1 and Role 2... And Role 1 explicitly granted access to SomeTable and Role 2 explicitly denied access to SomeTable.)

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

Blank means that the right has not been granted or denied.

If we use your example of UserA in Role1 and Role2 where Role1 is GRANTed rights to a table, and Role2 is DENYed rights to a table. The user will be DENYed rights to the table.

Grants are cumulative, and a deny always overwrites a grant.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back