Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rule forward to blackberry stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaine011

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2003
CA
I have setup a server side rule on a users email account to forward all messages to his blackberry account. It works for a day or two then stops all of a sudden. I have to recreate the rule to get it going again. Am I doing this the wrong way?

Our Blackberry users use the Blackberry Redirector service at the workstation and we have never had a problem. Must leave Outlook and the Redirector running while the device isn't docked.

You didn't say what version of Exchange server you were running, but on many occasions I have seen server side rules stop working if two Outlook clients connect to the server at the same time using the same user account and mailbox.

e.g. A user leaves his system running at work and then goes home or on the road and connects.

I can recreate this issue at will.
Usually happens if rules on both clients do not match.

In response to emiller52, I am assuming Blaine is not using BlackBerry redirector because he does not want to have to keep a comuter running all the time just to redirect the email. A server side rule does this without having to keep a client system running.

Another choice would be to set this up on the exchange server. Make the blackberry address an "alternate recipient" for this user's mailbox. (this would require you to make a "custom recipient" for the blackberry address, and allow mail relay to outside for this address.)

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back