Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rubber roller of Onstream drives have turned to goo in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Lee

Technical User
Dec 11, 2020
US
Any surviving 50GB drives out there in 2020? Tried using the rubber roller from a Travan drive but it did't work, slightly different size.

Try a platen refinisher to have them recovered.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have a few floppy disks and a punch card from 1970s

you might want to visit the Computer Museum of America where you could use the keypunch to make another. I spend a couple of hours every month there showing people how to punch cards. I also tell the visitors to the area about the other 4 machines and how they worked.

Ed Fair

Pretty soon, along the "floppy disks and a punch card", analog clocks will take place.
And I know a lot of young people are amazed when they see the record player or rotary telephone...

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Kind of fun to watch a kid punching a card. Generally get into the hows shortly thereafter, starting with clutches, dogs, and detents.

Ed Fair

The sad thing is, my punch card is from the deck that I made myself in the late 70's. Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Started fixing the machines in the early 60s. Commercially worked on the last ones I had on rent in 2008.

The unit record repairs at the museum over the last 5 years don't count.

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back