Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RTVSCAN.nlm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ividal

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
US
Running Novell 5.1. NWADMIN shows the following in the error log serveral times per day:

2-27-2003 1:45:08 am: LFS-5.10-76
Severity = 0 Locus = 2 Class = 19
The RTVSCAN.NLM nlm has registered a file system hook (4)

Is this anything to be concerned about?? (The last number in parenthesis changes in each error msg)
I believe the nlm may belong to Norton AntiVirus...

.ividal.

Hi,

These are informational messages and nothing to worry about.

Lou

Thanks for the info, Lou!

I'm guessing I should've known this by the "severity = 0" ??

.ividal.

Hi,

Yes the Severity=0 tells you that it is more informational than anything else, but the rest of the message gives you vital information also:

"RTVSCAN.NLM" tells you that it is your virus scanner that is the root cause of the message.

"...has registered a file system hook..." tells you that the program has registered itself with NetWare and is intercepting file calls (read and write). This makes sense because that is exactly what a virus scanner is supposed to do.

You would see similar messages for other programs that need to be "in the flow" of file reads and/or writes. Another typical example would be an Open File Agent.

gwexpertslogo.jpg

Gioffre Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.