Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RTF and Tracking Changes in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintAugustine

Technical User
Aug 29, 2001
US
Anyone ever have any problems with using Word's Track Changes feature on RTFs? I heard from a friend who heard it from a friend, etc, that it wasn't reliable and that sometimes changes were lost. I haven't seen this myself, but I haven't tested it thoroughly. Is it a load of hooey?

Don't confuse RTF as a Word file format--and Track Changes is a Word feature.

I've noticed myself, however, that if you save as RTF, close and reopen on your own PC, Word seems to recognize most everything.

However, I'd say that if you open that RTF from Wordpad (and save it), or if you open it from another version of Word (and save it) that you'd lose any of that.

Of interest to you might be to save a doc, then save a copy of it as RTF.

Open each one using the "recover text from any file" feature in Word. Take a look at the differences in the information at the top and bottom of the document. It may give you a clue as to what's being kept/lost. Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back