Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RT31P2-NA in Passthrough Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

progless

Technical User
Oct 22, 2007
US
I've read an awful lot of threads but nothing really confirms what I need to do. By the way, this is a non vonage, factory NA unit running Linksys 1.30.07 firmware.

I have two situations in using the RT31P2-NA unit.

Situation one is simple. The user has a pc or two connected to their own wired/wireless router.

Situation two is a bit more complicated.
The user already has a wired/wireless router attached to their provider and I don't want to change anything in how they have things setup.

I want to connect my RT31P2 to their provider, then their router into my RT31P2. Basically, I don't want to have to mess with their setup, at all.

Is there anything special I need to do on the RT31P2 in order to make it a 100% pass through device so the user can continue using his own network as usual?

Also, since the point of this is to be 100% sure that SIP/RTP will work without messing with their hardware, will there be a problem with ending up to what amounts to two networks?

Thanks very much for input on this.

That would depend on how the WAN side is configured, and if they have anything special setup on "their" router. If the WAN is DHCP, then it would be very simple. Otherwise you need to know how "their" router is configured, and go from there.

....JIM....

If you mean if they have a static setup and I need to know it's gateway/mask/dns, etc, sure, I'm aware of that.

What I'm wondering about is basically if putting my device in between their provider and existing device might in some way or another block things that they were getting to before with their setup.

I don't want to block anything of theirs, I just need to put my device in line.

As long as whatever you are using in between the other router is transparent to everything it is accessing, there should be no problems. The only limitations are what that version of firmware has for that Linksys product, which may be primitive compared to later routers.

....JIM....

Primitive but I don't need much for functionality just for full pass through. I just want their ATA lines to work always, without having to get into their routers. I spend more time trying to figure out remote user routers than I should so figure this device should help me with that problem.

You mention as long transparent in between, I'm assuming you mean so long as nothing is being blocked on the RT31P2? That's my question actually, wanting to make sure that nothing is. So far, in testing, the default config is what I've used, with my VoIP settings.

Unless you actually login to the router and look at the settings, you won't know what is default!

When all else fails read the manual...

....JIM....

The manual doesn't cover the type of use I'm asking about. I'm quite aware of the difference between static and DHCP so that's not a problem. I got that.

If you really don't know the answer, please don't point me to the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back