Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rsync or Rdiff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2003
CA
Hello all,

I am putting together a plan for a secondary backup. (Onsite) What I am concidering is either rsync or rdiff. I read the docs on both and they both sound good. What I am looking for is an opinion from someone who has actually used this for incrimental backups... As well as a mirror for redundancy in cause a file server goes down. Any input would be very greatly appreciated.

Also one question, after the initial full backup, is it always just incrimentals? Or do you need to run a full again at any point?

Or do you need to run a full again at any point?"

Depending on how you run rsync. Rsync updates the files that have been recently edited/updated.

Yes ok.. So at any point you will only keep say a 60 restore window, does this mean when you purge every 60 days you will need a full at that point? Or does it keep the initial seed from the first backup? As I understand it, well with rdiff anyway it is like having a mirror of the drive and within that directory there is an incrimental directory which updates the changes.. This to me would indicate that you would only ever have to do a full once..

You will have to do a main backup once. Let's say your /www.
From there you can set-up rsync on a cron job that runs every 30 minutes and updates the files that have been modified.

Very fast and efficient..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back