Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RSS News Feed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I am looking into RSS feeds and found this old thread.
Code:
thread215-1088335
Before I re-invent the wheel - Is this still the way to go or has a better solution been found?

Keith

Trying to figure out exactly what solution you got from that other thread. Quickest way is server side scripting.

They seemed to suggest that javascript was the best method but I just wondered if there was an easier solution. There is a perl module but my ISP does not have it listed.
The whole thing is shrouded in mystery, as these things tend to be, but I am thinking it is a simple process once you get into it. I just need pointing in the right direction.

Keith

Keith, sorry for the delay, it's ridiculous when your employer gives you soo much work that you dont have time to surf the internet!

What server side language does your ISP support? Pretty much all SS languages I use can handle RSS feeds. I personally have never used javascript for this and not sure how you could about this.

If your ISP doesn't support SS scripting then I found a few sites that will actually handle the feed for you and all you have to do is put some javascript on your site.

This being one of them:

I just searched google, there are quite a few out there that offer their service for free:

Hope this helps and good luck!

Nick

Sorry to hear about your unreasonable boss Nick, such people should be cast in irons and transported to Australia (that's the UK option anyway).

ISP supports Perl, PHP etc. but they do not have the perl module I have seen mentioned in connection with this. I use perl mostly but have been using the graphics (GD) capabilities of PHP. I would like to roll my own as I want to combine external news feeds with ones generated by my clients. Ideally, I could do with a raw example of the functionality which, through experimenting, I could make sing and dance.
It appears to me that the functionality of RSS is:-
1. Get a document from an external location.
2. Format it to my site's requirements.
3. Display it.
Please correct me if there is more to it than that.

Keith

Keith, thats pretty much it! I dont use perl but keep in mind an RSS feed is just xml so if perl has some way of parsing an xml then you've cracked it!

Your looking for tags like:
<title>
<description>

etc...

Keith, marquee was actually html but most people use fancier methods in javascript nowadays.

dynamicdrive.com have a ton of examples!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back