Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rs232 or com ports in windows mobile 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew299

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
GB
Hello all,
I have a Fujitsu Siemens LOOX N560 PDA runnnig windows mobile 5.0 and I want to connect a serial device to it. The LOOX has a USB connector but no serial connector. The cable with this connector is not available anymore (as far as i can tell). I have tried using a USB to serial cable using a PL2303 chip but the driver does not seem to work. Windows, recognises a new device and asks for the driver name but I have tried everything I can think of but it doesnt work.
I have also tried using a serial to bluetooth adapter and using th bluetooth connection. This seems to connect to the PDA and open a virtual com port but I have no way of checking if data is being transmitted. The device I suspect (or at least the software for it) can only use certian com ports. I have specified COM4 for the bluetooth but the software cannot open it. It can see COM1 and COM3. I think these are being used by something else. COM1 i think is the internal GPS. How can I disable one of these ports (COM3) preferably to try and connect the rs232 device?
or is there another way? I don't mind spending a bit of cash on a new cable but nothing extreme.
Many thanks
Andrew

It may have hit every branch on its way out of the ugly tree, but hey! It works. (but don't quote me on that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back