Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS under Windows 2000 Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deetee2k

Programmer
Nov 25, 2000
IE
I have a very simple question that I cannot get an answer to.

Can I install RRAS under Windows 2000 Pro?

(Similar to RAS under Windows NT workstation)
I have started the RRAS service but cannot see the snap-in under start> settings > control panel > admin tools

Any help is greatly appreciated.

D. "I want to play..."
(Guess the X-Files episode!)

Think you need to install Windows 2000 Administration Tools (from 2k server install disk) - have a look at 2k pro's help for RRAS.

Ta wolluf,

I couldn't find any reference to installing RRAS under pro's help file and a Windows 2000 server 'install additional services' routine will not allow me to install RRAS onto a pro machine.

It looks as if it might be possible but against M$' licensing policies, just take a look at the license for installing it under WINNT4.0 at
Seems the usual policy of bundling it with the workstation install and taking it out of a future release.

D. "I want to play..."

From 2k help:-

Managing routing and remote access servers remotely
Routing and Remote Access provides multi-protocol LAN-to-LAN, LAN-to-WAN, virtual private network (VPN), and network address translation (NAT) routing services. In addition, Routing and Remote Access also provides dial-up and VPN remote access services.

You can manage routing and remote access servers remotely using Windows 2000 Administration Tools.

With Windows 2000 Administration Tools, included on the Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server compact disc sets, you can manage a server remotely from any computer that is running Windows 2000. Windows 2000 Administration Tools contains Microsoft Management Console snap-ins and other administrative tools that are used to manage computers running Windows 2000 Server, and which are not provided with Windows 2000 Professional.

Once Windows 2000 Administration Tools is installed on a computer, an administrator can open the server administrative tools and begin managing a remote server from that computer.

Notes

To open Routing and Remote Access, click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Routing and Remote Access.
For information about using Routing and Remote Access, click the Action menu, and then click Help.
For more information about Windows 2000 Administration Tools, click Related Topics.

(To find this in help, type in keyword RRAS - it points to here).
To install the Windows 2000 Administration Tools you need to run ADMINPAK.MSI in \i386 on the 2k server install disk.

I stand corrected...

Thanks a lot wolluf, guess there is none so blind as those who will not see!

Regards

David. "I want to play..."

ummm,

Tried the above, it says you can 'manage' RRAS servers from any win2k machine. Unfortunately that does not help me. I want to run RRAS on a win2k workstation not a win2k server.

Any more ideas is greatly appreciated.

D. "I want to play..."

Really what I was trying to do was allow a user to dial-up to a workstation running Windows 2000 Pro.

However I found the answer at which explains that there is a feature in Win2k Pro under Dial-up Networking that allows you to configure incoming calls. You must specify each user that can connect however - you cannot allow all users from a domain to dial in.

Hope this is of help to someone at some stage!

Ta for all your tips and comments though wolluf.

Regards

D. "I want to play..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back