Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS Server Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSOLO

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
IE
Hello
Wonder if anyone can assist. I have the following setup.
A Windows 2003 RRAS server setup as a router and a remote access VPN server. (the VPN server is being used to connect a wireless network to a wired network).
The RRAS has 3 interfaces:
1. 10.3.0.5/16 (dial up address that vpn users use from the wireless clients)
2. 192.168.1.69/24 Interface to the wired network.
3. 10.13.0.1/16 Interface used to assign DHCP addresses to the PPP clients that connect into the RRAS box.
This interface is required as I need to hide the 192.16.1.0 addresses from being visible when the users do an ipconfig to see their PPP adapter settings. Basically I need to hide as much information pertaining to the wired network as is possible. So I therefore need to route traffic incoming from the 10.13.0.0 network to the 192.168.1.0 network on the RRAS Server.
When I try to ping an 192.168.1.0 network address from a wireless client with ppp adapter address 10.13.1.20 it times out even though there is a routing table entry on the RAS box.
The PPP adapter tcp/ip setting on the client has an Gateway address which is the same as its IP address (.20)even though the DHCP scope options specify the interface on the RAS box (10.13.0.1).

Can anyone advise why I cant get to the 192.168.1.0 network.
Appreciate any assistance
Thanks
MRSOLO

on the client, you'll need to enable the following setting:

use default gateway on remote network, which is in the dialup connection properties on the client's connection to the server

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at If you break your hard drive, it'll be DPlank's fault

Hi Aftertaf

The DHCP server is setup on the same RRAS box and the scope (10.13.0.11 - 10.13.4.254) is configured with a default gateway scope option of 10.13.0.1 (which is the interface address on the third NIC on this Machine). However when the clients receive a dhcp address from the appropriate scope the default gateway is not 10.13.0.1, the tcp/ip settings on the PPP adapter are as follows:

IP address: 10.13.0.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 10.13.0.20

For whatever reason the default gateway from the scope options is ignored and it is set to the same as the assigned ip address.

Not sure why it does this

Thanks
MRSOLO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back