Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS, multiple gateways on same machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsonbemoi

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2006
Hello to all,

I have a 2003 R2 box running some 20 websites. I am currently facing the following problem. I have installed 3 NICs in total, one facing the LAN, and two facing the internet, both connected to different ISPs. Both of the NICs connected to the internet have a default gateway and both have a metric of 1. All works fine - websites on the first and second NIC are accessed by clients without a problem. The problem comes after a random period of time, may be a few hours - one of the NICs stops responding to requests and cannot be pinged from the outsound. Restarting RRAS solves the problem, as soon as the service gets restarted the unavailable connection can once again be pinged from the Internet.
The only thing that RRAS is used for is for port forwarding and providing NAT services for LAN clients. Only one of the NICs facing the Internet is added in RRAS and configured as a public interface (NAT interface).
Can anyone give some insight as to why does one of the NICs stop responding after a random period of time. I know that multiple gateways on the same machine is a standard scneraio, but still works fine for some time, then stops until RRAS is restarted.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back