Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RRAS Does not start 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil8

MIS
Mar 3, 2006
US
Hi,

I'm having a troubling issue with our SBS 2003 Server. I rebooted the server this morning and now RRAS does not want to restart. Message:

Could not start Routing and Remote Access Service on Local Computer
Error 998: Invalid access to memory location

This makes me super nervous, anyone have any clue on what I should do next?

Thanks,

Evil8

Did you make any changes prior to restarting (new software, windows updates)?
Any more detail or anyting interesting in the event viewer?

If NOT, I'd boot to a CD and test the memory with MEMTEST86+

Next would be a scan for malware just in case.

No, there were some issues, yesterday, with Outlook clients not wanting to connect to the server, I did get them connected by logging the clients out and then back in making a fresh connection. The VPN worked yesterday too, so I was perplexed at the issue. I'll look at things closely tonight when all the users are gone and if I have to I'll try MEMTEST86+ and a Malware test.

Thanks for your time! I really do appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes.

With all the client computers logged out this morning, the service started with no problems or errors. During testing the VPN and Remote Desktop connections all worked fine. I'm going to do a virus and malware scan today just to make sure.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back