Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC Server is Unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpanattoni

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have a remote site that is connected to my corporate office via a VPN. At the corporate office is a Windows 2003 Domain Controller. I would like to setup a second domain controller at the remote office. However, when I try to join the domain, I get an error message that states that the RPC server is unavailable.

I can successfully ping the domain controller from the remote site's computer using the FQDN of the DC. Both RPC services are started on the DC and on the PC at the remote office.

I looked at the router at the remote office and it appeared that the RPC protocol was not being allowed in or out. I added the RPC protocol to the filter.

How can I check to confirm that the RPC protocol is 'live'? Any ideas as to what else could be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance.

If either site is running WINS, check that as well for any dirty records, misconfigurations, etc. Also, if the client is running a software firewall, try temporarily disabling it.

The remote PC is not running any type of software firewall. There is one WINS server on the network, but the records in it look approprite to me.

RPC (Remote Procedure Call) is a portion of the Microsoft modified IP stack used for general NetBios (NBT) name resolution and (SMB) Server Message Block transfer.

In short, No RPC, No communication between the servers/workstations across the wire.

A simple net view will tell you if RPC is flowing across the router/PIX.

Check the PIX rule base, remember the rules are hirearchical, and anything restricting broadcast (Another feature dependant on RPC) could be stopping the communication.

Ant "Net" commands are dependant on RPC, so net use, net view etc is a quick test.

If you feel ambitious, download etherial, a light network sniffer, and filter on SMB and RPC between the problem servers IP and a DC in the legacy domain, and you should see the ACK/NACK process dragging you through the mud.

Hope this helps...

Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back