Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC Server is unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwilke7432

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2003
US
Hello all,
I have a network that has 30 computers and one Windows 2000 Server (SP4). The 30 computers are a mixture of Windows 98, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Pro. This only affects the Windows 2000 Pro computers, none of the other OS's get this problem.
What is happening is that using DHCP from the Cisco router that we have, the 2000 computers get a 5719 Event Id in the Event Viewer that says: "No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain MMC. The following error occurred: The RPC server is unavailable." This makes the computer when it first is turned on, to take 10 minutes for the desktop to come up.
I was able to fix 4 of the computers, by adding a static IP address to the computer and forcing the negotiation to Full Duplex/100 MB.
There are two computers that will not work with this fix. What should I do?

Sometimes the RPC error is actually a symptom for a DNS error. In any case, you should review the DNS settings of your computers. Check out Type in the error number and the source (you have this information from the error message in Event Viewer). There are some good suggestions out there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back