Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC Error. Can't encode arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsrwendy

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
The daily backup of unix clientA on serverB partially succeeds and partially fails.

Some file systems are backuped without any problems but for 1 file system I get every day the same error message:

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---
* clientA:/div savegrp: suppressed 4 lines of output
* clientA:/div save: RPC error: RPC cannot encode arguments
* clientA:/div save: save of /div to serverB failed

OS = SunOS Solaris 5.8
NetWorker = NetWorker 6.1.1 Build 238

- I already stopped and restarted the networker and the rpc daemon. No improvement.
- I can ping the client and the server. The /etc/hosts file is set-up correctly. There is no network problem
- I found another error message in the log file:

* clientA:/div 1 retry attempted
* clientA:/div save: path length of 1024 too long, directory not saved:
* clientA:/div /div/GSNlogs/metro/sw_update/logs/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/

This /div file system has been backuped without problems in the past but the size was smaller then so maybe it has to do with the number of files or the size of /div.
Does anybody know if I can change the backup size limits somewhere in Legato Networker?

Thanks a lot
nsrwendy

Is there really a directory path called

clientA:/div /div/GSNlogs/metro/sw_update/logs/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/???

The path name is too long for NetWorker to save.

Oh yes, now I can see what went wrong!

There is really a path on the server called:
/div/GSNlogs/metro/sw_update/logs/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp/logs_tmp.... etc

But all these subdirectories include the same files with a different time next to them but all on the same date. So some process must have been creating all these (looping)subdirectories and this way the path became too long. (It was also 2GB big in the meantime)

In the meantime we have deleted all the subdirectories and will wait for the results of the backup that will run tonight.

Thanks for your help!
nsrwendy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back