Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RPC - Domain Controler removed from network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray720

MIS
Nov 6, 2001
US
Hi Everybody,

I have a Windows 2000 Domain I inherited...

The Domain has a primary DCAD and replicating DC on the LAN and two other replicated ADs at remote locations. I noticed a server called "MANAGEMENT" as one of the servers in AD SandS set to replicate. I have come to find out MANAGEMENT is an old DC that used to be the Global Catalog holder. There is a also a DNS record for this machine.

I had already changed the replication schedule for Management to none but would like to totally remove (delete) the machine existence from my domain.

I already checked and all my FSMO roles are correct to my current DC.

Will I have any problems removing Management from AD SandS?

I also get Directory Service Event ID 1265 once every few minutes.

Thank you in advance,
Aaron

You can use the script at the end of my faq faq96-4733 to remove the server from the AD Metadata. You will need to remove the DNS entry manually.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you Mark!!! Worked great with your instruction and link to KB216498.

Aaron

Next time try the script! With the script you just double click, then type the name of the bad server and POOF you are done.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

There's is something to be said for properly removing a DC from a network. It's nice not having the same event codes over and over and over, and a much cleaner, less trafficy network as well.

I needed to error on the side of caution for this one but next time I will use the script.

Thanks again,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back