Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Row source type refers to different table based on previous value

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekila

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
SG
I've two fields in a form; Test and Location that are both combo boxes. The row source type of Test is a value list; FCT and ICT. The locations for FCT and ICT are stored in separate tables (FCT Locations and ICT Locations). How can I make the row source type of Location refer to the particular table based on the value selected in Test, meaning if I select FCT for Test, the data from FCT Locations table would appear in the combo box of Location?

I know it's possible to achieve this by creating a table to store Test and Location data but due to some other reasons, I want the locations for the two tests to be stored in two tables.

Create an AfterUpdate event procedure for Test, and use it to set the Row Source property of Location. Code something like this:
Private Sub Test_AfterUpdate()
If IsNull(Test) Then
Location.RowSource = ""
ElseIf Test = "FCT" Then
Location.RowSource = "FCT Locations"
ElseIf Test = "ICT" Then
Location.RowSource = "ICT Locations"
Else
Location.RowSource = ""
End If
End Sub
Rick Sprague

I received a compile error: method or data member not found for .RowSource

Is Location is the name of the combo
Else please name it correctly

Oh yah, it should be Locatn instead of location, thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back