Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Row Level Security Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenSimmons

Programmer
Nov 26, 2003
US
Does anyone have any idea of something that makes setting up the row level security any easier? I am doing a lot of redundant work. The same where clause on every table in the universe. Has anyone interfaced with the SDK to do anything like what I am wanting to do? Any input will be helpful.

Thanks
Ken Simmons

Ken, if you have alot of this to do, then you've not doing security the right way. You really should have a security table in your universe.

Log on to the tech support site and search for Miami&Level. That will take you to my user conference presentation from 2002 called: Using Designer to Implement Row-Level Security.

If you want to discuss this strategy offline, you can reach me at skrandel@westbaysolutions.com.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

We are using a vendor that will not allow us to add a table. All we are allowed to do is use a view. We have to go in for each group and for each table in each universe and add a restriction.

There is no safe way to automate this. However, there are other options that may be of value to you. You should definitely read the presentation that I referred to earlier.

I'm surprised by the comment that the vendor won't allow you to add a table. You can add the table to a different schema (owner) and join to it in the universe.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

You could hold the security table(s) in a linked universe.

Create an empty Universe in Designer. Go to File > parameters and on the Link tab click on the Add Link button. This allows you to navigate to your vendor's universe (which has to reside in a repository) and click on Open and OK. The empty Universe is now linked to the Vendor's Universe. You can now add in your security tables in the empty universe. You now have a Universe with the security tables you require and you have not changed your vendor's universe.

When the Vedndor's universe is upgraded your your linked unverse is automatically upgraded and your security tables are left intact.

This will continue to work providing there is no significant changes in the underlying structure of the vendor's universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back