Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing with two NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

warpped

MIS
Jan 19, 2000
US
I have a Win 2000 Server with two nics. One is for the company LAN, and the other is for our manufacturing LAN. The server is a file server, no domain security. Configs look like this:

Workgroup side:
IP - 10.0.0.2
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway -

Domain (Corporate) Side:
IP - 192.13.192.27
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 10.0.0.2

On the PDC on the corporate side, there is a route to send all 10.0.0.0 to 192.13.192.27.

A trace from the corporate side shows that when going from 192.13.192.68 to 10.0.0.21, we get to 192.13.192.27, and then it dies. A ping times out.

I originally had a gateway set up on the workgroup side pointing to 192.13.192.27. Set up this way, I can ping from 10.0.0.21 to 192.13.192.68. But I can't get the other way.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Why is the Gateway on the Corporate side pointing back to 10.0.0.2? Take that out, see if it works.

I've done that. I've tried gateways in both, neither, and one or the other. No luck.

Wouldn't you need to set up RRAS to do this? It appears you want to make the server act as a router. RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Service) will allow you to do that, I believe. Otherwise, you have a machine that can send and receive on two different networks but won't route packets between them. If you want a machine on one network to be able to reach a machine on the other network, you need a router, which is where RRAS comes in.

Hi,
If you setup that server as a router between your domain and workgroup, leave the gateway blank except if you want that server access to the internet. BTW ONLY ONE gateway is allowed on Multi home computer.

Setup the gateway for PC's on the Workgroup (10.x.x.x)to 10.0.0.2

Setup the gateway for PC's on the domain (192.x.x.x) to use your another gateway to the internet (I think you have one).

Create static route on the internet gateway (domain) to use 192.13.192.27 for 10.x.x.x

RRAS is set up, and routing works one way, but not the other. All of your suggestions are good, except that we've tried them all, and still nothing.

By the way, we had Microsoft on the phone, and Webexed into our server for over 4 hours. They are stumped as well.

We are getting to the RRAS server, but not across to the other side.

I would recreate the i would disable rras and recreate it, now.expand ip routing ->general -> on the nic configuration tab config the ip address mask and default gateway on the general tab enable ip router manager and route discovery advertisment.

check the hop count and make sure it is 0 check make sure the mask are right and do not set basic firewall for

Thanks oceanid1, that did it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. More importantly, I wonder why Microsoft didn't suggest it.

Good call, thanks again.

Hi vinnyf sorry about my grammer i was half alseep when i replied to your post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back