Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routing to a standby server using Cisco - any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolel007

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
GB
I have two servers, primary & secondary. These servers sit on a private network (behind a firewall), but have different ip addreses.

I am trying to find a device(or way)that will re-direct traffic to the secondary server if the primary server is unavailable.

The traffic will be FTP based initially, comming in from the Internet. My first thoughts were the Cisco Local Director, but I'm not sure if this will do the job.

Any ideas ??

Maybe the firewall will be able to do that.
I am aware that Checkpoint can work in that way, and load balance between the two servers if needed.

Another solution could pass through he configuration of the DNS server with BIND and using the following perl scrip for HA, see below lnks below:

Regards.

Sam Bonete

You can use Cisco IOS feature SLB (Server Load Balancing) available on Cisco Layer 3 switches and configure it any way you like - Load Balancing / Failover, Hot Standby etc etc - The switch IOS can even check to see if a particular port is available on your app server and make it's decision based on that availability. It works on a simple principle of having a virtual address hosted on a layer 3 switch and routing to your multiple servers behind the virtual.

Not the clearest explanation in the world, so check this out

If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back