Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing through a Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqleptical

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
US
I'm putting an application on a Webserver that sits behind a Linksys firewall. If I wanted to give someone Web access to that Webserver, would I just have them use the IP of the router and port-forward to the IP of the Webserver? If so, what port should I use?

How can I make it secure so that not just anyone who enters that IP into their browser can gain access?

Is there a way to port forward to just that specific application (or possibly to just a certain directory) on the Webserver? Or keep them from perusing our network once onto the Webserver?
Help on any or all issues above would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Taking your questions in order...

a. Assign a static IP address in your private range (192.168.1.x) to your web server. Configure the Linksys to do port forwarding for port 80, TO that web server static IP address.

b. Not possible with the Linksys, perhaps possible with the webserver -- depends on what you're using.

c. If you're running a web server, it's on port 80. Only port 80 traffic will be forwarded. If your server is properly configured, all it will do is serve up web pages.

d. Once again, they're not "on your web server". They're sending and receiving HTTP traffic via your web server's port 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back