Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routing table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimland

Technical User
May 1, 2001
US
I have a test network and have a UNIX machine representing www. I have it hooke dup to a hub and I have a NT machine hooked up to the same hub but neither machine can ping the other. On the UNIX box, I went into the /etc/hosts and put the correct information in there, but someone told me I had to edit the routing table. Where is that and what changes would I make? Thank in advance.

Joe

u sure you have the same submask?

because i didn't have to modify any information except the ip address and all nt machines and unix box can ping each other...considering u have the same submask and range of ip address.

for example if u have a ip that is 10.100.21.x u and submask to 255.255.255.0 all machine with 10.100.21.x can ping each other...

hui Emagine Solutions, Inc.

Try adding or editing (if you have one) defaultrouter in /etc
Put in router address such as example 10.100.21.1

Hi

Since both the machines are on the same hub u dont require the route only check the ip address are of the same net
like if one is 10.1.1.1.the other shud be 10.1.1.x and the subnet mask shd be 255.255.255.0 also try pinging vise-versa i.e NT to Unix and Unix to NT also a ping to localhost or slef ping will help find if the Inteface is configured and working

adios

D...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back