Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing subinterfaces between 2 routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

climan

ISP
May 5, 2002
US
I am trying to figure out a way to create a subinterface on 2 different routers and route between them. I have put a compleate discription and a drawn out picture of what I would like to do here:
Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

I think your biggest problem is that subinterfaces on ethernet ports are (I'm fairly certain) reserved for use in VLAN scenarios only. If you try to create that subinterface (assuming you could come up with some sort of policy routing scheme to meet your needs), I suspect you'd get an error message of some sort. Actually VLANs would be your ideal solution...but...that 2500 won't support them (again, I'm *fairly* certain about that but I hate stating negatives in the affirmative).

If I understand your requirement correctly, I think you need a hardware upgrade. I guess some sort of secondary address scheme vs. a subinterface scheme might be doable. But they're messy and have a lot of restrictions so I don't deal with them, so I can't be of much help in that regard. Anyone else think of anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back