Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing protocol peering with HSRP Virtual IP and Virtual Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

abidg

ISP
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hello,

I tried to run RIPv2 on a LAN in between 3 routers, where R1 and R2 were in an HSRP group, and R3 was the other physical router.

What I noticed was R3 would use the physical addresses of R1 and R2 instead of the virtual IP address on the HSRP standby group. I even tried the passive-interface and neighbour command options but that didnt do the trick as well.

It kind of makes sense as the VIP is only used as for a destination by hosts on the LAN and not as a source, as for sending anything the physical address is used by the routers/gateways.

Reason I was doing this is that the HSRP group already existed on the VLAN where I was tyring to implement RIP and I didnt want the upstream (R3) to peer with two downstream (R1 and R2) routers, for each destination network beyond them.

Just wondering if it is at all possible to run an IGP with an HSRP virtual VIP. I think for a peering across a single LAN it will always be the case as above. For cases like in iBGP or eBGP (wiht multihop) it might be possible.

Hello
The router will use it's real IP in this situation.Why such a strange network design,is this for lab purposes?

Regards

Hello Minue,

I have end up in a situation on a production network where I have to multihome a customer network with service provider using BGP. It is an MPLS solution and the service provider wants to use BGP for PE-CE. The reason I was testing peering with HSRP is that the customer is using 2x6509s just for resilience running HSRP on each of the connected networks. I was thinking of creating a vlan and putting the HSRP and two BGP peering on that vlan, but as it happens to be I didnt do the trick.

Now I would be using two p2p links on the two 6509 and peer with BGP separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back