Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon21

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2002
CA
Hi,
I have a windows.net server and try to NAT my internet connection to my clients. (I have 2 NICs on my server)

The clients can ping the network card attach to the internet but cant see web pages. When you entre google.com, the browser find the appropriate IP, so it is not a DNS problem.

I think it must be a routing problem because I cant ping (from clients) the router behing the second NIC on my server.

Anyone can help?

firstly: try NSLOOKUP on a client. type in an IP address and see what server answers your queries.
If you cannot send a signal to the internet, you cannot contact a DNS server directly either.
Your gateway machine might not have that problem though (being directly connected), allowing it to resolve queries for your internal machines despite the fault.

Can you use the .NET server to browse and ping? Is there any firewall inplace that might be blocking the packets path?

I think you might have to add a default route to your internal machines.

Typre 'route print' and see if you have a default gateway. (destination 0.0.0.0) If not you'll need to add a default route.

hth

Tels Mixed Linux/Win2000 Network Administrator

firstly: try NSLOOKUP on a client. type in a host name and see which server answers your queries.
If you cannot send a signal to the internet, you cannot contact a DNS server directly either.
Your gateway machine might not have that problem though (being directly connected), allowing it to resolve queries for your internal machines despite the fault.

Can you use the .NET server to browse and ping? Is there any firewall inplace that might be blocking the packets path?

I think you might have to add a default route to your internal machines.

Typre 'route print' and see if you have a default gateway. (destination 0.0.0.0) If not you'll need to add a default route.

hth

Tels Mixed Linux/Win2000 Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back