Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing of emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

netnut1234

Technical User
Oct 20, 2004
GB
Hi
I'm in the processing of setting up Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 for a friend of mine. At the moment he has a company that host his website and mail which is sent to the company via Pop3, so the MX, A and for this domain are already setup and pointing to IP address. He wants to have an exchange server onsite, hence why setting up a domain. The hostname currently is mycompany.co.uk for example, when setting up the SMS server, I have to register the server on the internet, for routing mail. I registered the server as my-company.co.uk, as if I used the other address I would bring the website down.
I have been told that I can route mail from mycompany.co.uk to my-company.co.uk and the exchange server will be able to handle mail from a different domain. Is this correct? Can I route mail from 1 domain to another and the exchange server will be able to route mail to the user?
Thanks for your assistance in advance.
Netnut1234

Create an A record in the public DNS. Typically you would name it mail.company.com or exchange.company.com.

You will use that name for your public certificate that you will want to have for OWA and RWW and ActiveSync to use.

Modify the MX record to simply point to your newly created A record and all mail will be delivered directly to the SBS server.

On your firewall, open the following ports:

TCP 25 (email)
TCP 80 (http)
TCP 443 (ssl)
TCP 987 (SharePoint)
UDP 123 (Time)
GRE 47 (vpn)
TCP 1723 (PPTP vpn)
TCP 1701 (L2TP vpn)
UDP 500 (vpn)

If you are not familiar with SBS 2008, do your friend a favor and enlist the help of someone familiar with the product. SBS 2003 was considerably easier for a novice to install and 2008 has many tricks to setting it up properly.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back