Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing mail to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedeb

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
US
I have 5 Exchange 2003 servers. 1 is a Front end. How do I set up all mail bound for the internet to go through the Front End? I assume I use an smtp connector but I am unsure about how to set it up.

Mail goes to internet fine now, but each server sends outgoing itself and this is causing us to be black listed, I assume because of reverse DNS lookup problems. The IP address that these servers send from is different than where MX points to. If I can route all internet mail through FE where MX points then all should be OK.

Thanks,
Steve

We have had a server with mismatching hostname/external dns name - only a couple of problems sending mail to the odd server that has reverse lookup turned on. No blacklisting.

Can you edit the Default SMTP Virtual Server properties... delivery... advanced... set the fqdn.

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's how I fixed my problem. I do not know if it the best way, but it seems to work.

I only have 1 routing group because I have good bandwidth between all Exchange servers. In that routing group I made an SMTP connector.

For local bridgehead I added my frontend server.
For address space for the connector I set it to *
I selected to use DNS to route

Everything seems to work, so far no problems. All mail bound for the internet goes to the frontend. I had to do some tweaking on my FW so that the Frontend in the DMZ is Natted with the address that I want it to.

I invite anyone to help me with any suggestions that may be a better solution. This is just what I came up with b/c I found no article that said set up this situation like so...

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back