Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing Lotus Notes Mail thru a Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

polaris90

MIS
Apr 10, 2001
US
Greetings,

I have a question that I'm unable to answer and I'm in desperate need of assistance. Due to my company's move to a new location, my Lotus Notes Server (running 4.11a) is now connected to GM's Infranet via an EDS-owned Router and all traffic is now being routed thru an EDS-owned firewall. Since the move, I can no longer route mail nor replicated databases with other LN Servers in the GM Domain. I believe that there needs to be specific ports and/or protocols opened up on the firewall in order for my server to "see" these other servers, but I don't know specifics. All I know is that LN apparently uses port 1352 to communicate but there must be more to it?? The firewall guys and the router guys state that port 1352 is open but I still cannot "talk" to the LN Servers in the GM Domain that I need to... Are there other ports that need to be allowed?? Are there other services like TCP / UDP / NRPC ??? If anyone knows - I would greatly appreciate it..

While this is, in fact, a Domino question and not Notes, I'll still help ya along as best I can. :)

As far as ports are concerned, 1352 is the magic number for incoming Notes (NNTP) traffic (if they use port forwarding at the firewall make sure they forward it to the Domino server's IP). Other important ports consist of the usual suspects (25, 80, 110) for unsecure and less usual for SSL. Follow the link below and check out the presentation on "Securely Accessing a Domino Server over the Internet."
Hope it helps.

"One fish, two fish,
Red fish, blue fish."

The information that Roverfish has given you is correct, but may I add something else that you will need.

The firewall needs to either have port 1352 open, or needs to enable port forwarding to the port that is currently open. Next thing is you may need a NAT address on your firewall (its a translation address from external to internal). After this, you need to modify your server document to say that you are allowed to access the server (passthru and route through sections).

Finally...

In your Lotus Notes client, go into your personal address book. Specify a new LAN connection document for the server with the external IP address of your firewall as the Destination IP address for the server. You may want a special location document set up so that the new location (i.e. Firewall) is the only location document that will use the new connection document.

You are now ready to go. The only other thing you may want to do is create more connection documents for passthru server access.

This will definitely work.

McElvis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back