Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

routing issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovebrd

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2000
US
I seem to have a problem. I have a remote office that is connected via frame-relay

Site A: sub interface 192.168.4.1
Site B: Sub interface 192.168.4.2

The local Internet access in my remote site is down. I am trying to reroute those packets back to site A and then to the internet.

Site A: 2620
Site B: 1601

The internet access in Site A is routed via a third router behind a PIX 515 firewall.

I am thinking it should be very simple
Change the current statment in the 1601
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.4 <internet gateway for B
to
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.11 <internet gatway for A

However when i trace route from site B it drops after

i seem to be missing something here ?

Advice / help is needed

-Danny

note: for some reason I noticed that network B could not see at talk to my PIX firewall on network A

What could that mean ?

Network A 192.168.1.0
Network B 192.168.2.0
Both are connected via frame relay 192.168.4.1 thru 4.2

It seems this is the key to my problem ?
What would the answer be ?

-Danny

Hello Danny,

It will be helpfull if you have a look at the routing on the firewall, maybe you will need to add a route there back to network b.

What i don't understand is why if you are routing directly to A's default gateway from the 1601 you have to pass across the 2620 (looking at the result of the trace route)

have a look to the firewall and tell me what you see...

bye

What wide area routing protocol are you using? If you have none or don't know you should enter some static routes from site to site to enable your ICMP (ping) packets through.

AidanEnos

milikk,

Your idea to look at the routing on the firewall was a good one ! It truns out that the route inside statment was omitted from the config.

I add the following statment
route inside 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.4 1

>What i don't understand is why if you are routing directly >to A's default gateway from the 1601 you have to pass >across the 2620 (looking at the result of the trace route)

I did that because the packets coming back from across the fram from network should get forwarded to the gateway of last resort on network A. It turns out that once the route insise statement was added to the PIX my other subnets could then ping the internal interface. At that point it worked as it should have. I suppose I could also change the static route on the 1601 to route back to the PIX and not the 2620. I theory it should work both ways.

Anyways thanks milikk for your suggestion. You are my hero today !

AidanEnos,
The routing protocol I am using is RIP with a combo of static routes (gateway of last resort) Can that be specificed using RIP ?

-Danny
dcd@pop.mainstreet.net

-Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back