Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing issue ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbeazley

MIS
Aug 22, 2002
CA
I have a strange issue. I have am trying to get a cisco 2513 and pix 515e working together but encounted a weird problem. My 2513 is connected to my inside interface of the pix. I can ping from either side of the 2513 to outside the pix but when pinging from outside the pix I get timed out on some devices until I initiate a ping from that device (on the inside). I have static routes only and don't want rip on.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

True but I can't even ftp from the outside device until I have initiated a ping from inside to the outer device. If I clear xlate after I can communicate then the channel is dead again. What do I need to do to keep this (non translated) channel open ?

I agree with Yizhar, you need to define some sort of xlate in addition to your access-list.

Solved. Thanks for everyones help.

I was trying to setup NO translation while allowing inbound and outbound traffic flow. Well this is ok for outbound but inbound xlate problems occured until I figured out that nat occurs even if you don't want it. The difference is that on the pix no nat (nat 0) actually translates the addresses back to itself. Once I figured this out I setup nat (to itself) and all is good. Bizzare but simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back