Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing from one consumer router to a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tregas

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2010
US
We have a rather complicated issue which was created by Time-Warner Cable and I'd like to work out a solution, if at all possible. We have an Extreme X350-24T switch in our small NOC.

We have a client downstairs who is connected to us via a CAT-6 cable. We manage their server in our racks and they have their own Time-Warner cable modem which is connected to a mini-switch and connects downstairs with their SBS server and routes the whole mess to the cloud. They operate in a CLASS-C topology.

We have our own Time-Warner cable modem which is connected to our Extreme switch and we maintain a flat, uncomplicated CLASS-A topology.

The problem is that Time-Warner does not allow routing between nodes which live on the same central routing node thingy (I don't remember what its called, but its like cable's version of a CO and significantly smaller).

Ping and dig testing reveals that DNS will resolve the addresses, but routing is blocked. We've contacted TWC, but they can't do anything about it or, more likely, won't.

In the meantime, our monitoring systems are useless for them and we can't tell if anything fails or needs attention or remote into their machines to fix things, install software, or run patch updates. We might as well be on a completely different internet.

What I'd like to do is run a cable from their switch into our switch and configure that port to act like what I think used to be called a brouter. I'm not exactly a networking guy, but I'm quite handy.

All I need is for our network to be able to see their network and bypass the BS with TWC. Is this possible? What would need to be done in order for that to happen? Could it possibly be as simple as adding a CLASS-A IP to our management server?

Thanks!

---
Tyler Regas - Nerd. Writer.

you only want to manage 1 server?
quick and dirty:
connect the cat6 cable in nic2 of the server and configure that nic within you subnet?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back