Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing domains and subdomains without using Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxWave

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2001
US
... for those who have the patience to read all this. Thanks. :)

Here is the scenario:
-Two companies merge: Company A (domain.com), Company B (olddomainname.com)

-Mail Servers in 3 locations: Site 1(PostFix SMTP), Site 2(Exchange 2000), Site 3 (Exchange 5.5/ASP-controlled)

-Domains: (domain.com, s2.domain.com, s3.domain.com

-Sample Users: user2@domain.com resides at site 2 / user3@domain.com resides at site 3

Here is what happened:
The original company (domain.com) has one Exchange 2000 server(mixed) running on a native Windows 2000 domain. The merging company has a vast engineering team and made a few decisions to resolve e-mail merger. A simple SMTP server was set up at the co-location site (site 1). This server acts as a gateway to the two other companies. I.E. User at site 2 has an e-mail address of user2@domain.com. The SMTP server (gateway) at Site 1 forwards the mail to user@s2.domain.com which is the Exchange 2000 server.

Problem:
Receiving mail from the "outside" world works perfectly. When a MAPI user at Site 2 sends e-mail to user2@domain.com it works fine. When that same user sends an e-mail to user3@domain.com it comes back with a unknown user error. I create a contact that forwards to the s3.domain.com and this works. The problem is that this solution really sucks. Everytime the sysadmin at Site 1 creates an e-mail address he has to alert the sysadmin at Site 2 and 3.

This is what I would like:
Site 2 routes all mail sent to *.domain.com back to Site 1. Site 1 in turn returns the e-mail back to Site 2 if the user lives there. This way, admin at Site 1 can create aliases without telling admin at Site 2. I set up routing this way and the darn server started looping all the e-mail. Exchange (Site 2) looks at the final destination address of *.domain.com and decides to re-forward all over again!

Some more notes:
I cannot link the sites via MS Exchange Sites because they are all incompatible in this sense. Native Active Directory cannot link to a NT Domain and the third site is an ASP anyways. Site 1 is just a vanilla *NIX SMTP server.

Some IDEAS:
I have my hands on two really nice servers and am thinking of setting up the Win2K domain from scratch. I just don't see how I can resolve this issue even if I started from scratch.

I hope this all makes sense. Its like a big puzzle but I have to solve it eventually. Thanks to everyone who has the patience to read all this. I appreciate it.

What your asking will almost always have the chance to cause a loop.

Use different domain names or one system. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back