Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing by interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekludwig

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
I would like to set up a solaris-8 system with a QFE as router for my two internal network with some basic failover capabilities. My current setup is:

[tt] wan-A <====[rtr]====> lan-0

wan-B <====[rtr]====> lan-1[/tt]

What I want is:
[tt] ____
wan-A <====| |====> lan-0
| |
wan-B <====|____|====> lan-1[/tt]

In "normal" mode, traffic for lan-0 will be routed to wan-A, and lan-1's traffic will route to wan-B. But if either wan-A or wan-B goes down, then the routes would be adjusted to the working wan connection [within a few minutes]

My initial reaction was ... sure, this is possible. But then, as I dig into things, it is not a easy as it looks -- to me. Any suggestions would be welcome.

D

----------------
Derek Ludwig
derek<at>ludwig.com

wouldn't this work with a script that checks on both lans if certain address is pingable, if not then consider lan down and add a new route to the routing table that tells ip to send thru correct lan and delete old route ?

afaik. you need is DMP Dynamic Multi Pathing -> check this at docs.sun.com

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back