Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing between 2 Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnold8

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2002
IN
Hello all,

To make this very simple, I have two networks 192.168.100.0/24 and 192.168.10.0/24 in my Loacl LAN.

I want to enable computers on one LAN to connect to computers on the other.

I have installed a Win2000 Server machine with 2 NIC's and would like to enable this as a router between the 2 networks. I have installed and configured Routing and remote access, but I still can't get thru. Do i need to enable RIP ? Any other soulution ? can someone help me with this configuration ?

Have you tried using a different IP address range, the 192.168.x.x is one of the designated non-routable addresses.

regards

Marc

which ip address do you suggest I use, and on which nic ?
I have to route traffic betw 2 networks that are in the no-routeable category.

When you have just two networks, and just one router there then, you don't need a protocol for managing the dialog between routers (as RIP is).
The easiest way go and define static routes (IP routing /static roues in RRAS mmc).

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

In routing and remote access you can assign a static route, or use RIP or OSPF. Assign static if you are unfamiliar with RIP. Also ,if you don't have a router and just using the server then make sure you set your gateway to the servers address. You really dont need 2 nics you could do this with 1 nic if you set up your server correctly. Give your server NIC the address 192.168.100.1 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.100.1. Then in R&R add a static route of 192.168.10.0

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back