Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and Remote Access Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnHoward

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
GB
We have installed the Routing and Remote Access service to allow remote dial in for email etc to our SmallBusiness2000 server. It is configured to act as a RAS server only with two static IP addresses assigned to be used by the remote users.

The problem is that some PC's instead of then going through the proxy try to access the internet through the IP address assigned to the RAS users.This only happens to a few machines even though they all use the same proxy server/login script etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

John

I had a similar problem to this, and I thinks it's because you need a larger pool of ip addresses.

The server takes one of the ip addresses when someone dials up, and gives another to the client. C:\DOS:>
C:\DOS:>RUN
RUN DOS RUN!!

Thanks for the reply Crundy.

I originally had set aside a range of 10 addresses.Do you suggest even more than that?

John

Oh sorry, I thought you meant your pool of addresses was only 2:

"with two static IP addresses assigned to be used by the remote users"

Have you checked the log? What error do you get? C:\DOS:>
C:\DOS:>RUN
RUN DOS RUN!!

Sorry Crundy. I was a bit misleading there. I had a range of ten and then i tried dropping it to two with no success.

The log doesnt report anything out of the ordinary happening.

It does only happen on certain machines. I am going to see if its only happening on the people who have dial in access allowed.

Cheers

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back