Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and remote access help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

refreshingchange

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2005
GB
Hi, I need some advice.

I have two networks 192.168.0.0 and 172.16.0.0

Network 172 is connected to 192 via a Windows 2003 server with two NICs. Network 192 has access to the internet through a router. I need to provide Internet access to network 172 via the 192 network. I don't have access to the router in the 192 network (admin on 192 won't allow it) so I can't add a route back to 172.

Any suggestions...please???

you must "source NAT" (or "SNAT": source network address translation). I'm not sure how you do this on windows (I use Linux routers). check here:
The effect of SNAT is that your 192 router replaces the source IP from all routed 172 machines with it's own ip , which the Internet router accepts.

The defaults on those two networks...
192.168.0.0 is a class C network
172.16.0.0 is a class B network

The router you have no access to on the 192.168.0.0 network is probably a cheap router not capable of routing the class C network directly so you will have to use Network Address Translation (NAT) in the Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) service on your server. Set it up as if the 192.168.0.0 network is the internet.

for instructions and information goto windows help

networking\routing and remote access\routing\concepts\using routing\routing scenarios\SOHO Network to the Internet\Configuring a Translated Connection

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

you might also want to look at windows help:

networking\routing and remote access\routing\using routing\deploying routing\setting up network address translation\deploying network address translation.

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back