Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing and NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtoledo

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I am a little confused and need some assistance.

We have a large corporate network. We have also created a private LAN in a test lab. There is currently a server that is connected to both networks. This server acts as a DHCP server for the clients in the test lab. I am trying to create a route between the two so the clients can talk. (Not concerned about security/filtering at this point).

The clients on the private network are using 192.168.x.x addressing. The clients on the corporate network are using registered addresses and the corporate network is unaware of the route to the 192 network.

I am assuming I have to use NAT within Routing and Remote Access, but I have tried many configurations with no success. Basically at this point I would be happy to get a PING to work between the networks. The server is able to ping devices on both networks. I am sure I just missed one small detail, any suggestions?

Hey MrToledo,

No, you can't use NAT when you want to be able to ping the private-side from the corporate side.
You will however need RRAS.
Set it up as a normal router to connect these networks.
Also make sure there's a route from the corporate clients to your private network.
The clients on your network probable have the DHCP-server as their default gateway. The clients on your corporate network probably will not. So you must add a route to their current default gateway for the 192.168.x.x network to point to the routing server in between the networks.
Another possibility might be to setup the clients on your corporate network to use the routing-server as their default gateway and configure the routing table on that server to forward the 192.168.x.x subnet to the private side, keep local local and forward the rest to the original default gateway.

With kind regards,

Argetlam

SysAdmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back